Suppression list (blacklist) system
SmartRelay shares the suppression list management system that is used by Contactsend.
Unknown user/invalid recipient bounces, for example, are immediately added to a suppression list as soon as they are received and processed. For privacy reasons, each such suppression list is customer-specific.
Other bounces are managed using smart, time-based, temporary suppression logic. This adds a recipient to, or removes a recipient from, the relevant suppression list until either:
- The seven week time limit is reached, with no successful delivery
- The recipient is added to the suppression list permanently
- A successfully delivery is recorded before then end of the time limit
- The recipient is marked as valid
This logic ensures that:
- False positives are reduced to a reasonable minimum, even for infrequently used mailboxes
- Mail service providers (MSPs) do not see many messages sent to a potentially disabled mailbox before the attempts stop permanently
- MSPs consider this problem a symptom of bad list management practices, which has a negative impact your sender reputation